These are the kind of afternoons I miss with my own children – and which I love to replicate with my own grandchildren. They don’t know it, but they have given me enough joy, love and hope to last all week – and will probably keep me warm even if the weather drops below zero.
What could they have possibly done to make me so ecstatic — nothing really exciting – just little things like -
- Being so excited at the sight of Santa that they couldn’t talk or stand still.
- When talking to Santa, Lizzie had a list long enough to give something to every kid in Omaha. Liam was too shy to say much but managed to blurt out at least a couple of items dear to his heart.
- Helping me bake my first batch of snickerdoodles for their great-aunt Mary Beth. The ‘helping’ consisted of taste-testing the dough and rolling it in the spices for baking (mainly so they could like their fingers). Lizzie even had a special outfit for the occasion — including Minnie Mouse ears!
- Watching one Christmas special after the other — no matter how many times they have seen them (I’m so happy they are becoming Christmas special junkies like their grandma!).
Yep — couldn’t have asked for a better Sunday afternoon!
- Christmas Special Junkie (patkat80.wordpress.com)