On the first day of a new year, it isn’t unusual to think about where one has been – in fact, it is vital that a person look back so one can understand where one is going in the future. Wow — that sounds so philosophical — I think I’ve been watching too many Twilight Zone episodes today!! However, I do think about my hometown of Gunnison, Colorado a lot and I would like to share my top 10 reasons I’m thankful I was raised in such a wonderful spot. So, here they are – starting with number 10 (of course!) —
10. When people in Omaha, NE (where I currently live) complain about how cold it is – I can say that I was raised in the coldest spot in the nation – and they should quit complaining! It usually doesn’t stop anyone from complaining – but they definitely change the subject!
9. When explaining how tough things were when I was young, I can actually tell me children that I had to walk to school through 6 feet of snow – and be telling the truth!!
8. I know what its like to go innertubing in an irrigation ditch!
7. I now have a great place to vacation! Who the heck wants to stay in Nebraska during the summer time?
6. I have actually sent people on snipe hunts. If you have never been one, just let me know and I’ll give you a bag and a couple of sticks. I even have a snipe call you can borrow.
5. I know how to put a worm on a hook – heck, I even know how to dig for worms!
4. I get to tell people the Western State slogan the football players taught my mom – We’re Mountaineers with hair in our ears, we’re lusty sons-of-bitches! I don’t think that’s the official slogan – but its fun to tell people anyway!
3. Everyone in town would call my mother and tell her where I was – so I knew better than to go someplace I shouldn’t be.
2. I’ve actually seen a two-story outhouse. This can be a great conversation piece at a party which has turned a little dull!
And the NUMBER 1 reason I’m thankful I was raised in Gunnison, Colorado –
I CAN BLAME ANY ABNORMALITIES OF MY CHILDREN ON THE FACT THAT WE USED TO RUN THROUGH THE MOSQUITO FOGGER DURING THE SUMMER TIME!